Due to precautions related to covid-19, we have expanded our options for remote consultations. Please contact our office to discuss whether a full phone consultation or video conference is appropriate for your situation.

Law Offiices Of Susan H. Witting Certified Family Law Specialist

We Find Solutions. Email Our Firm.

Law Offices Of

Susan H. Witting

Certified Family Law Specialist

Representing Parents In Move-Away Cases

Once a child’s parents have gone their separate ways, it is not unusual for one parent to want to move to accept a new job or another opportunity. Parental relocation, however, can have a serious impact on both parents’ child custody and visitation rights and responsibilities.

At the Law Offices of Susan H. Witting, we provide parents with skilled guidance through parental relocation and interstate custody cases. Thousand Oaks parental relocation attorney Susan H. Witting is a certified family law specialist with more than 34 years of legal experience.

Understanding the Laws Governing Parental Relocation

Under California law, if you are bound by a child custody order and want to move, but your move would affect the order, you need a court-approved child custody modification. Whether you have primary custody or minimal visitation time, it is important to go through this process.

Parental relocation issues can be resolved through a mutual order agreed to by the parents or by a court proceeding where a judge decides how to modify custody and visitation.

Even if you and your spouse agree on how to adapt to the decision one of you has made to relocate, it is still advisable to formalize the agreement through a new court order reflecting your agreement. It is also highly advisable to consult an experienced lawyer before agreeing to anything. We can assist you in modifying and processing your custody orders.

Interstate moves can create particularly tricky custody issues. The Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act (UCCJEA) may come into play in an interstate custody dispute or a case where one parent wants a different state to take charge of a custody case.

Contact a California Interstate Custody Attorney at 805-777-7371

Our offices are conveniently located right off the 101 freeway in Thousand Oaks, with plentiful free parking. If you need assistance with a child custody issue, do not hesitate to call us at 805-777-7371 or e-mail us to schedule a consultation with attorney Susan H. Witting.